6905 Rockledge Drive Bethesda, MD 20817
Assistant Business Controller
With a career at HMSHost, you really benefit! We offer:
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Generous paid time off (vacation, flex or sick)
- Holiday pay
- Meal and Transportation Benefits
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- Company paid life insurance
- Tuition reimbursement
- Employee assistance program
- Training and exciting career growth opportunities
- Referral program – refer a friend and earn a bonus
The purpose of the Assistant Business Controller is to provide support and training to Operations in managing/driving sales, creating, implementing, monitoring and communicating cost & labor controls, forecasting branch/region results, conducting financial analysis and disseminating reports, establishing a control environment and performance management.
- Ensures compliance with all company standards and policies, provides training to Operations Finance and/or branch management to maintain the appropriate operations control environment and build both financial and business acumen
- Implements company defined financial metrics throughout their area of through standardized training and development with Operations Controllers and their staff and/or Director of Operations
- Creates and/or reviews existing policies and procedures with the support of Operations Finance to ensure accuracy
- Manages the annual Control Self-Assessment to ensure locations are setup for success
- Partners with branch management to improve store level performance through daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly reviews
- Evaluates operations processes and makes the appropriate recommendations and/or implements the appropriate solutions
- Oversees the onboarding process for Operations Controllers and staff
- Partners with Business Controllers to provide support for training and/or position coverage as necessary within the operations finance arena
- Ensures the financial integrity of the operations income statement and balance sheet through weekly/monthly/quarterly close processes
- Partners with branch management regarding price sweeps, menu and/or product optimization, zone, capture and/or market share analysis and implementation
- Supports inventory management, cost of sales optimization, labor workforce management optimization through leading analysis and training management
- Partners with operations management to provide accurate fact-based analysis to support both sales growth and expense reductions/improvements at a store level.
- Partners with Business Controller and/or Sr. Director Ops Finance in preparing reports and presentations, including developing financial bridges as required by management
Reporting relationship and other important information
- The Assistant Business Controller position as described falls under the Fair Labor Standards act as an Exempt position
- This position typically reports to the regional Operations Business Controller
- The position will require travel to support the requirements of the business up to 50%.
Minimum Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, and Work Environment
- Requires an understanding of accounting, operations, and financial management and operational acumen typically gained through a Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Finance, Accounting, or related field of study, and 5 years of experience providing professional finance services within a high volume multi-unit restaurant environment with a significant hourly workforce.
- Requires demonstrated strong financial acumen and the ability to understand and teach variance analysis
- Requires demonstrated advanced working knowledge of Excel including financial modeling skills
- Requires strong organizational skills, the ability to work independently while managing multiple priorities
- Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Requires ability to build strong relationships; function well in a matrixed organizational environment; develop strong relationships with external partners including Joint Ventures, sub-tenants and landlords
- Experience in reading and interpreting contractual agreements, a plus
All job requirements are subject to change to reflect the evolving position requirements or to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a threat or risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to which will be required in this position. Employees will be required to follow other job-related duties as requested by their supervisor/manager (within guidelines and compliance with Federal and State Laws). Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.
HMSHost is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
We are a global hospitality company with a passion for service! HMSHost offers the size, resources, training, and advancement opportunities you need to reach your most important career goals.
We believe in a culture of engagement. We strive to practice behaviors that set all associates up for success. We foster a culture of appreciation, caring and inclusion. We also believe in being the best version of yourself that you can be. We support this with competitive wages, robust benefits and recognition for a job well done.
HMSHost managers are coaches, guiding their teams to achieve great results while having fun and making a difference every day. Our managers show their passion for service and hospitality, are open to different ideas and perspectives, can adjust to the pace of our business, and serve the needs of our associates, guests, brands and other stakeholders.
We value manager-coaches who are reliable, can be counted on to do the right thing and focus on the simplicity of our mission – ensuring everyone feels great at work, and that our travelers are feeling great on the move.
At HMSHost, we know our success is based on great people, strong teams, and a fun environment. If you have positive energy, a passion for serving others, enjoy a fast-paced environment, are a team player, like to learn and grow and have fun at work – apply now!
HMSHost is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. HMSHost is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you are an applicant with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access HMSHost’s online applicant portal as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by sending an email to OSCHR@HMSHost.com.