HMSHost at Raleigh–Durham International Airport
John Brantley Boulevard Morrisville, NC 27513
Director Operations III
With a career at HMSHost, you really benefit! We offer:
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Generous paid time off (vacation, flex or sick)
- Holiday pay
- Meal and Transportation Benefits
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- Company paid life insurance
- Tuition reimbursement
- Employee assistance program
- Training and exciting career growth opportunities
- Referral program – refer a friend and earn a bonus
The purpose of the Director of Operations III role is to run restaurants in a high volume, moderately complex location by directing, planning, and managing the revenue generating and operations activities of the leadership team of restaurant managers and support staff, ensuring all restaurants are clean, staffed, open for business, and operating to high operational and financial standards by holding assigned F&B Multi-Unit Manager(s), General Manager(s) and staff accountable. The DO-III is responsible for building a successful relationship with the Landlord, Unions, DBE/Joint Venture Partners, and other stakeholders. The DO-III uses broad discretion and judgement to make great leadership decisions.
Open and Close
- Ensures all F&B Multi-Ops Managers, GMs, and staff recognize the importance of preparing each restaurant for next-day opening, holding GMs accountable for executing all closing and opening checklist/requirements
- Facilitates the development and implementation of the annual budget, financial forecasts and other business goals, and leads unit management to ensure budgeted sales and profit goals are achieved
- Develops, maintains, and fosters growth of landlord, brand and DBE partner relationships
- Interviews candidates for key jobs, makes hiring, termination, advancement, promotion or any other status change decisions for associates within the zone. Promotes HMSHost as an employer of choice within the local community
- Authorizes hiring, firing, advancement, promotion or any other status change of location associates, F&B Multi-Unit Managers, GMs and leadership staff
- Responsible for scheduling managers to ensure the branch has a leader-decision maker on site during all hours of operations, and that all restaurants have a person-in-charge on site during all operating hours.
- Holds F&B Multi-Ops Managers and GMs accountable for on-boarding and off-boarding of all restaurant associates, to include all activities related to compliance with proper badging requirements, orientation, OJT, and other company training/processes. Ultimate accountability for ensuring the collection of terminated employee badges, communicating terminations to HR
- Understands, adopts, and consistently demonstrates defined manager behaviors designed to create an environment where employee engagement thrives; accepts, understands, adopts, trains and champions all Employee Engagement behaviors
- Supports company recognition initiatives and develops and implements plans that will motivate and recognize restaurant staff for their contributions and performance, including using Shout-Out tools and materials.
- Provides F&B Multi-Unit Managers, GMs and leadership staff with consistent support, coaching and encouragement necessary to achieve business goals
- Ensures company and branch diversity and inclusion philosophy is understood and actively executed within the restaurants
- Reads and understands financial and operational data and reports to monitor progress towards zone goals and assigns associates to meet those objectives
- Regularly meets and collaborates with the VPO/RDO about issues, decisions, people, and strategy, Communicates leadership’s vision and goals to branch leadership.
- Engages with Ops Controller and regional leadership on financial decisions and enacting needed controls. Makes purchasing decisions for repairs, maintenance and supplies. Is aware of Loss prevention concerns and escalates those concerns to LP personnel.
Product Availability/Working Equipment
- Ensures F&B Multi-Unit Managers, GMs and leadership staff are accountable for preparing daily orders and units are stocked with appropriate levels of product and ensures associates learn these order procedures
- Ensures restaurants receive goods, process invoices, contact vendors for supply chain issues/product availability.
- Ensures GMs and staff are proficient in company used tools like MIV, Crunch Time, Kronos and other programs as utilized by the company.
- Monitor/maintain restaurant equipment, schedule routine service or repairs as needed.
- Champions minimization of waste, records as needed and participates in food donation program.
- Assesses skill levels of F&B Multi-Unit Managers, GMs and leadership staff and conducts and recommends training/education activities as necessary
- Embraces technology and inspires leadership to understand and adopt new technologies implemented by the company
- Maintains a working knowledge of all applicable brand standards, CBAs, Landlord lease agreements, and all procedures and protocols to maximize brand/landlord/labor relations, and teaches associates these standards
- Develops and implements creative strategies to increase revenue
- Manages the day-to-day activities of F&B Multi-Unit Managers, GMs and leadership staff within the branch
- Uses judgment and discretion to resolve customer and associate questions and problems and determines when to refer more complex issues to senior level leaders
- Recognizes, understands, and utilizes subordinate leaders’ strengths and provides ongoing feedback that reflects on progress against individual development goals and business goals
- Ensures planned maintenance is conducted and addresses all maintenance and repair items as needed
- Implements marketing programs as directed by OSC or brand initiatives, complies with promotional activity, drives revenue and interacts with support teams for AB programming, sales matrix, Coke programming or other as directed.
- Maintains an in-depth understanding of all federal, state, and local sanitary, safety, and health standards, and all procedures and protocols to comply with the law
- Holds F&B Multi-Unit Managers, GMs and leadership staff accountable for ensuring all safety standards are understood and met
- Ensures new managers and associates are trained in wellness check protocols and adheres to new COVID 19 requirements.
- Understands and performs all Health and Safety activities as specified in the Manager’s Guide to Associate Health and Safety
Important information, reporting relationship, and similar roles
- The Director of Operations - III position as described falls under the Fair Labor Standards act as an Exempt position, under both the Administrative Exemption and the Executive Exemption tests.
- The position typically reports to the Regional Director of Operations within the assigned region.
- The Director of Operations - III position is expected to work a varied and rotating schedule to be on site at various operating days and hours each week; some opening shifts, during some busy dayparts, and during some closing shifts to monitor F&B Multi-Unit Managers, GMs and restaurant associates’ work activities during these different days and times.
- The Director of Operations - III position is the first position in a series of branch level leadership positions of increasing scope and complexity.
Minimum Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, and Work Environment
- Education and management knowledge: demonstrated through progress toward a bachelor’s degree in Hospitality Management, or through varying combinations of formal post-secondary education or successful years of hands-on experience managing multiple restaurant concepts and multiple restaurant units.
- Restaurant experience: must have demonstrated multi-unit restaurant experience, to include brands and service styles of varying complexity (e.g.: QSR, FSR, Union, Non-Union, etc.), with overall accountability for the success and failure of those restaurants. Generally speaking, multi-unit, multi-concept management experience for a minimum of 7 years with underlying overall restaurant management experience of 9 years is necessary to be successful in a small branch.
- Financial acumen: possesses a solid understanding of the drivers of growth and profitability and how key financial metrics are used; can easily navigate the P&L and has an understanding of the drivers of key line items that impact restaurant level profitability. Knows how to drive KPI results through behaviors versus managing the metric.
- Technical skills and abilities: Demonstrates knowledge of restaurant product and service quality, safety and operations standards, and ability to teach and coach these standards to a team.
- Builds and maintains positive relationships: Demonstrates the ability to interact with the public, team and various stakeholders in a friendly, enthusiastic and inclusive manner including clients, executive team, union representatives, branded partners and a diverse group of hourly associates.
- Builds high performing teams: Ability to make sound hiring decisions. Demonstrates team management, delegation and issue resolution skills; has history of leading successful teams; has developed associates and leaders; applied strong coaching behaviors and ongoing feedback on performance.
- Managing priorities and problem solving: the ability to manage multiple and concurrent priorities and apply critical thinking to solve problems. Uses sound communication practices to facilitate initiatives and change.
- Communication: Requires the ability to speak, read and comprehend instructions, short correspondence and policy documents, understand menus and brand standards as well as converse comfortably with individuals.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) Drug Free Workplace (DFW)
We are a global hospitality company with a passion for service! HMSHost offers the size, resources, training, and advancement opportunities you need to reach your most important career goals.
We believe in a culture of engagement. We strive to practice behaviors that set all associates up for success. We foster a culture of appreciation, caring and inclusion. We also believe in being the best version of yourself that you can be. We support this with competitive wages, robust benefits and recognition for a job well done.
HMSHost managers are coaches, guiding their teams to achieve great results while having fun and making a difference every day. Our managers show their passion for service and hospitality, are open to different ideas and perspectives, can adjust to the pace of our business, and serve the needs of our associates, guests, brands and other stakeholders.
We value manager-coaches who are reliable, can be counted on to do the right thing and focus on the simplicity of our mission – ensuring everyone feels great at work, and that our travelers are feeling great on the move.
At HMSHost, we know our success is based on great people, strong teams, and a fun environment. If you have positive energy, a passion for serving others, enjoy a fast-paced environment, are a team player, like to learn and grow and have fun at work – apply now!
HMSHost at Raleigh–Durham International Airport
HMSHost at Raleigh–Durham International Airport
HMSHost is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. HMSHost is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process.