HMSHost at John F. Kennedy International Airport
Terminal 8, Gate 44 Queens, NY 11430
With a career at HMSHost, you really benefit! We offer:
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Generous paid time off (vacation, flex or sick)
- Holiday pay
- Meal and Transportation Benefits
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- Company paid life insurance
- Tuition reimbursement
- Employee assistance program
- Training and exciting career growth opportunities
- Referral program – refer a friend and earn a bonus
The purpose of the General Manager I (GM) position is to manage a QSR restaurant or small cluster of restaurants or points-of-sale in close proximity to each other with Sales of generally up to $5M. The GM ensures the restaurant is clean, staffed, open for business, and operates to high operational and financial standards. The GM uses broad discretion and judgement to make great leadership decisions, and is responsible for the overall success of the restaurant.
Open and Close
- Ensures all assistant managers and staff recognize the importance of closing the restaurant to prepare the restaurant for opening, holding Shift Managers accountable for executing all closing and opening checklist/requirements
- Understands, adopts, and consistently demonstrates defined manager behaviors designed to create an environment where employee engagement thrives
- Deploys staff and resources to maximize profitability within the restaurant, and accepts P&L responsibility.
- Assigns work tasks and activities, prepares schedules, and ensures that all shifts are covered
- Provides restaurant staff(s) with consistent support, coaching and encouragement necessary to achieve business goals
- Interviews job candidates, makes hiring, termination, advancement, promotion or any other status change decisions for associates within the unit. Promotes HMSHost as an employer of choice within the local community
- Ensures company and branch diversity and inclusion philosophy is understood and actively executed within the restaurant
- Ensures on-boarding and off-boarding of all restaurant associates, to include all activities related to compliance with proper badging requirements, orientation, OJT, and other company training/processes
- Reads and understands financial and operational data and reports to monitor progress towards unit goals and assigns associates to meet those objectives.
- Recognizes restaurant staff for their contributions and performance, including using Shout-Out tools and materials; supports company recognition initiatives and develops and implements plans that will motivate team.
- Accepts, understands, adopts, trains and champions all Employee Engagement behaviors
- Ensures that the company has most current contact information for all associates working in the restaurant.
Product Availability/Working Equipment
- Ensures daily orders are prepared and units are stocked with appropriate levels of product and teaches associates these order procedures
- Oversees receiving goods, processing invoices, and contacting vendors for supply chain issues/product availability.
- Maintains proficiency in management information systems and tools like MIV, Crunch Time, Kronos and other programs as utilized by the company.
- Monitors and maintains restaurant equipment, schedules routine service or repairs as needed.
- Participates and manages company response to NSF and other audits
- Minimizes waste, records as needed and participates in food donation program.
- Assesses skill levels of restaurant associates and conducts and coordinates on-the-job and other training/education activities as necessary
- Embraces technology and inspires employees to understand and adopt new technologies implemented by the company
- Maintains a working knowledge of all applicable brand standards, CBAs, Landlord lease agreements, and all procedures and protocols to maximize brand/landlord/labor relations, and teaches associates these standards
- Develops and implements creative strategies to increase revenue
- Manages the day-to-day activities of associates within a defined individual or group of restaurants or points-of-sale
- Uses judgment and discretion to resolve customer and associate questions and problems and determines when to refer more complex issues to senior level leaders
- Utilizes associate’s strengths and provides ongoing feedback that reflects on progress against individual development goals and business goals
- Implements marketing programs as directed by OSC or brand initiatives, complies with promotional activity, drives revenue and interacts with support teams for AB programming, sales matrix, Coke programming or other as directed.
- Maintains an in-depth understanding of all federal, state, and local sanitary, safety, and health standards, and all procedures and protocols to comply with the law
- Holds Managers accountable for ensuring all safety standards are understood and followed
- Trains new managers and associates in wellness check protocols and adheres to new COVID 19 requirements.
- Understands and performs all Health and Safety activities as specified in the Manager’s Guide to Associate Health and Safety
Reporting relationship and other important information
- The GMI position as described falls under the Fair Labor Standards act as an Exempt position, under both the Administrative Exemption and the Executive Exemption tests.
- The position typically reports to the Director of Operations, or an intermediate zone, cluster or area leader within the assigned location.
- The GMI position is expected to work a varied and rotating schedule to be on site at various operating days and hours each week; some opening shifts, during some busy dayparts, and during some closing shifts to monitor restaurant associates’ work activities during these different days and times.
Minimum Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, and Work Environment
- GMIs must have documented and demonstrated skills managing the types of restaurants (QSR, Casual Dine, Full Service, similar complexity, Union and Non-Union, etc.) to which the role is assigned, to include overall responsibility for success and failure of the restaurant under their leadership as identified by P&L success for multiple annual cycles for the type or restaurant assigned. Generally speaking, restaurant P&L management experience for a minimum of 3 years with underlying overall working restaurant experience of 5-7 years in type is typically necessary to be successful.
- Graduation from a Food Service Management or Culinary program may substitute for a portion of the time based experience requirement for each of these roles
- Demonstrates team management, delegation and issue resolution skills and the ability to manage multiple and concurrent priorities
- Demonstrates knowledge of HMSHost policies and products, service, quality, equipment and operations standards, or able to demonstrate this knowledge within a reasonable time from hire or promotion
- Requires the ability to speak, read and comprehend instructions, short correspondence and policy documents, understand menus and brand standards as well as converse comfortably with individuals
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) Drug Free Workplace (DFW)
We are a global hospitality company with a passion for service! HMSHost offers the size, resources, training, and advancement opportunities you need to reach your most important career goals.
We believe in a culture of engagement. We strive to practice behaviors that set all associates up for success. We foster a culture of appreciation, caring and inclusion. We also believe in being the best version of yourself that you can be. We support this with competitive wages, robust benefits and recognition for a job well done.
HMSHost managers are coaches, guiding their teams to achieve great results while having fun and making a difference every day. Our managers show their passion for service and hospitality, are open to different ideas and perspectives, can adjust to the pace of our business, and serve the needs of our associates, guests, brands and other stakeholders.
We value manager-coaches who are reliable, can be counted on to do the right thing and focus on the simplicity of our mission – ensuring everyone feels great at work, and that our travelers are feeling great on the move.
At HMSHost, we know our success is based on great people, strong teams, and a fun environment. If you have positive energy, a passion for serving others, enjoy a fast-paced environment, are a team player, like to learn and grow and have fun at work – apply now!
– Terminal 8, Gate 44
HMSHost at John F. Kennedy International Airport
HMSHost is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. HMSHost is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process.